call for submissions “Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens”
OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: “Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens”, a collection of poems, prayers, affirmations and stories for the Person Living with HIV/AIDS.” Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens is inspirational stories, poems and affirmations that opens the heart, supports the soul and uplifts the spirit of People Living with HIV/AIDS.
Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens stories have a beginning, middle and an ending that often closes with a punch, creating emotion rather than simply talking about it. Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens stories have heart, but also something extra…an element that makes us all feel more hopeful, more connected, more thankful, more passionate and better about life in general. A story that causes tears, laughter, goose bumps or any combination of these. A good story covers the range of human emotions
DEADLINE: Tuesday, 1 December 2009, cornbreadfishcollard at gmail.com
Editors: Khafre K. Abif
Guidelines for a Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens stories
Submissions will be considered in the following genres in English
Tell an exciting, sad or funny story about something that has happened to you or someone you know. Make sure that you introduce the character(s).
Tell your story in a way that will make the reader cry, laugh or get goose bumps (the good kind!) Don’t leave anything out – how did you feel?
The story should start with action; it should include a problem, issue or situation. It should include dialogue and the character should express their feelings though the conflict or situation. It should end in a result, such as a lesson learned, a positive change or pay-off.
Above all, let it come from your HEART! Your story is important!
What a Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens story IS NOT:
1. A sermon, an essay or eulogy.
2. A term paper, thesis, letter or journal entry.
3. About politics or controversial issues.
4. A biography or testimonial.
1. It is preferred that all submissions are sent via email @ email@example.com.
2. Stories and poems should be non-fiction, ranging in length between 300-1200 words.
3. No anonymous or author unknown submissions please.
4. Send only one copy of each submission.
5. We do not return submissions, so please don’t send the original.
6. Please submit only stories or poems that have not been previously published. The only exception to this is if your work has only been published in a small local publication with limited circulation.
It can take up to more than a year for the books to develop. Please be patient, as this is an important, yet time-consuming process. If your story is chosen for Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens you will be notified and your permission to print it will be requested. Please know that we never publish anything without written permission from the author.
Feel free to submit more than one story or poem. Please do not send me any book manuscripts as these will be automatically discarded